
JUBA — A special court trying suspended First Vice President Dr. Riek Machar and seven co-accused on Wednesday rejected a defense application seeking permission to video and audio record the remaining court proceedings.
Delivering the ruling during the 109th court session on Wednesday, Judge Stephen Simon Binjigwa said recordings of the proceedings can be obtained from the South Sudan Broadcasting Corporation, which is operating inside the courtroom.
Judge Binjigwa also noted that four of the accused had already testified without audio or video recordings, saying granting the request would amount to a violation of the constitution, which grants equal rights to all persons.
He said the application should have been made at the beginning of the trial and that granting the request at this stage would amount to discrimination among the accused.
The court also rejected a separate request by Dr. Riek Machar to submit copies of his written statement after each court session.
He explained that written statements could only be admitted after an accused person has been formally charged and entered a plea of not guilty.
Judge Binjigwa also cautioned the defense against allowing the accused persons to make direct requests before the court.
He advised Dr. Riek Machar to formally request a change of his defense lawyers if he had lost confidence in their representation.
The court adjourned the session until Friday, Aug. 21, to continue further hearing of Machar’s defense testimony.
Machar and several co-accused face allegations related to the March 2025 violence in Nasir, Upper Nile State. Machar and his co-accused have denied the allegations against them.
The trial, which has drawn significant national attention due to the high-profile nature of the accused, is being presided over by Judge James Alala Deng, alongside Justices Stephen Simon and Isaac Pur Majok.
The prosecution team comprises 13 lawyers drawn from the Ministry of Justice and other legal institutions, including Counsel General Deng Achuil Adija, Dr. Sabri Wani Lado, Serafino Simon Mizan, and Filberto Mayuot Mareng.
On the defense side, six lawyers are representing the accused, including Dr. Geri Raymond Legge, Kur Lual Kur, and Anis Tombe Augustino.
Investigations into the case are being led by Major General Basile Thomas Wani, assisted by Brigadier General John Dak, while Captain Richard Gachi Apollo of the Internal Security Service is listed as the complainant.
Those standing trial alongside Machar include Puot Kang Chuol, Mam Pal Dhuor, Gatwech Lam Puoch, Lt Gen Gabriel Duop Lam, Camilo Gatmai Kel, Mading Yak Riek, and Dominic Gatgok Riek.
As proceedings continue, the court is expected to further examine the credibility and implications of digital forensic evidence in establishing alleged links between political figures and armed groups.