
JUBA — The United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) has stepped up patrols in and around the Bentiu Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) camp following deadly violence that erupted after security forces attempted to arrest a self-proclaimed prophet.
Anita Kiki Gbeho, the UN Secretary-General’s Special Representative and Head of UNMISS, said the incident, which occurred on Wednesday, left civilians and security personnel dead and injured several others.
“Such violence is unacceptable. Civilians who have already endured displacement and insecurity must be protected from further harm. I urge all those with influence to prioritize dialogue and step back from confrontation,” Kiki said in a statement issued on Friday.
Kiki said the mission increased its protective presence while working with community leaders, state authorities, security actors, and youth representatives to ease tensions.
She said it would maintain an enhanced presence in and around the camp to deter further violence and protect civilians until calm is restored.
According to community leaders, the violence began when authorities attempted to arrest Taban Puol, a self-proclaimed prophet who claims to be the reincarnation of Ngundeng Bong, one of the most influential spiritual figures in Nuer history.
Witnesses said tensions escalated at around 4:40 p.m. after followers of the prophet resisted the arrest.
The confrontation reportedly began with stone-throwing before escalating into clashes involving security forces and civilians.
Nyiir Gatchang Puoch, chairperson of the Bentiu IDP Camp Community High Committee, said nine people had been killed and 29 others wounded, including civilians and police officers.
He said some people were still missing.
“His followers did not allow him to be arrested by the security forces. The police then beat them, and they responded by throwing stones and fighting with sticks and knives. This caused more injuries and deaths among the community members,” Gatchang said.
He added: “We blame the authorities because these civilians belong to the government and they knew there were children and civilians here and could have conducted the arrest at night and not during the day.”
The violence has raised renewed concerns about the safety of thousands of vulnerable people living in the camp, including women, children, and people with disabilities.
UNMISS said the security situation in the camp remains fragile and called on those with influence to help prevent further escalation.
The mission’s latest statement put the number of deaths at about five and injuries at 33, based on reports received at the time of its assessment, while community representatives cited nine deaths and 29 injuries.
Unity State authorities have not commented on the differing casualty figures or provided further details about the incident.