JUBA, APRIL 25, 2023 (SUDANS POST) – At least three South Sudan government soldiers were wounded on Saturday when an unknown foreign militia group attacked soldiers along the South Sudan border with DR Congo and Central African Republic.
An activist in Yambio told Sudans Post on condition of anonymity that some border communities have been displaced by fears of foreign fighters attacking civilians along the border with the Democratic Republic of Congo and Central African republic.
“We have been told that three people were killed and hundreds of families living in these areas that are bordering the DR Congo and Central African Republic have been displaced and we expect that number to group,” the activist said.
In statements to state-own South Sudan Broadcasting Corporation (SSBC), the presidential affairs minister Barnaba Marial Benjamin on Monday said a committee comprising of security chiefs has been formed by the Council of Ministers to visit the areas and report to the government. to
“The Council has directed the formation of a committee by the chief of defense forces, inspector general of police, and other senior officers from other organized forces including the national intelligence to go and find out what is happening in the border and report to the government,” Marial said.
The government’s response comes amid unverified reports that armed Arab militias from Mali, Chad, and Central African Republic are crossing into Southern Darfur State of Sudan via Western Bahr el Ghazal and Northern Bahr el Ghazal State in South Sudan to join the ongoing conflict in Sudan.
Fighting broke out in Sudan last week after the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) which was elevated from Janjaweed by former president Omar al Bashir in 2013 attacked several government and army positions in the capital Khartoum and other important towns.
The fighting – despite immediate calls from regional and international communities – entered its second week on Saturday with no sign of end to fighting, despite an agreement between the warring sides to a new three-day ceasefire starting midnight yesterday.
Leave a Reply