KHARTOUM – Sudanese authorities have announced that at least 50 South Sudanese immigrants have died in the Mediterranean Sea after being abandoned, along with 4,850 other immigrants from Sudan, Syria, Ethiopians, Eritreans, in the middle of the sea by smugglers.
A Khartoum-based South Sudanese activist said, according to the Eye Radio, that the immigrants are between the age of 15-35 and boarded boats heading towards Italy before the board capsized killing the fifty South Sudanese immigrants.
“They boarded a boat at Libyan coast; however their boat drowned in sea. About 50 South Sudanese have died and 280 are receiving treatment in Italian hospitals”, Achol Malong said on Saturday from the Sudanese capital Khartoum.
The South Sudanese activist further said the deceased are part of 1,350 South Sudanese immigrants who crossed to Europe last week and said 285 of those who crossed successfully are currently receiving treatment at an Italian hospital in Sicily.