JUBA – South Sudan army has said that the disarmament campaign which was halted in August following fierce fighting between armed civilians and members of the organized forces in Greater Bahr el Ghazal states of Warrap and Lakes has resumed.
The disarmament process began in July this year, but was halted in August following fighting which claimed around 200 lives from both the army and Gelweng armed youth.
Last week, acting army spokesman, Brigadier-General Santo Domic Chol, told Sudans Post that the army was preparing to continue the disarmament process which he said was halted over the August clashes.
In a statement to Sudans Post on Thursday, Domic said the phase one of the process has began and would continue, he said, through the festive season.
“Phase one is peaceful disarmament which is ongoing now. And this process of peaceful disarmament will continue up to the end of December when the road are accessible,” he said.
The senior army officer said the process would be a nation-wide process by spring 2021.
“As soon as we succeed in Tonj, we will implement the same disarmament in some other areas like Lakes, Bentiu and so forth,” he said.
Leave a Reply