JUBA – Following the surprise resignation of the SPLM-IO Secretary-General Tingo Peter, the main armed opposition group has issued a statement this afternoon acknowledging his defection, but assuring its supporters of the defection’s insignificance.
In the statement below, the Machar-led opposition group said the defection of Tingo was not a surprise, because he has changed his behaviors toward the movement and his own colleagues.
Find below the full-text statement signed by the group’s deputy chairperson of information committee, Manawa Peter Gatkuoth Gual who is also the South Sudan Minister of Water Resources and Irrigation.
SUDAN PEOPLE’S LIBERATION MOVEMENT/ARMY
- The leadership of SPLM/SPLA (IO) would like to inform its member and the people of South Sudan that it received the resignation of Secretary General, Cde Peter Tingo, from the party on 10 November 2020.
- His resignation did not come as a surprise to all of us since our coming to juba, the secretary general of the party has changed all his thoughts and behaviors towards the party of SPLM/SPLA (IO).
- His entire allegations labeled against the party and its Chairman is baseless and has been the same accusations by those people who defected to the SPLM-IG before.
- We want to assure our members and the entire nation of South Sudan that the decision that he took will not affect our interest and determination towards the implementation of the Revitalize Peace Agreement, instead it will even make it much stronger with the trust vested on its leader Dr. Riek Machar Teny by his people.
- Due to his resignation, we urge him to hand over the documents and the stamp of the party, since he is no longer the party Secretary General and not a member of SPLM/SPLA (IO).
- In conclusion, we want to reassure our members and the peace loving we are fully committed to the citizens of South Sudan that implementation of the revitalize peace agreement.
Cde. Manawa Peter Gatkuoth
National Committee for Information and Public Relations
Republic of South Sudan