JUBA — The Political Bureau of the main armed opposition group, SPLM-IO, led by First Vice President Dr. Riek Machar Teny has issued a communique following a meeting in Juba.
The meeting of the most powerful organ of the main armed opposition group discussed the recent military confrontations among several factions of the SPLM-IO.
Below is the full text of the communique.
13 August 2021
OUTCOME OF THE SPLM/A (IO) POLITICAL BUREAU MEETING
The SPLM/A (IO) Political Bureau met today, Friday, August 13, 2021 in Juba, South Sudan and discussed:
1. The resignation of Hon. Henry D. Odwar as Minister of Mining in the RTGONU.
2. The subsequent decision of Cde. Henry D. Odwar, SPLM/A (IO) Deputy Chairman and other political leaders to support the Kit Gwang Declaration.
3. The resignation of Cde Mabior Garang De Mabior as Chairperson of the SPLM/A(IO) National Committee for Information and Public Relations, dated October 7th, 2020.
4. Violations of Power-Sharing Agreement on the Administrative Areas.
5. The implementation of the Security Arrangements.
The Political Bureau resolved as follows:
1. Accepted the resignation of Hon. Henry D. Odwar as Minister of Mining for health reasons;
2. Acknowledged the decision of those members including Mr. Henry D. Odwar, Mr. Goi Jooyul, Mr. Manasseh Zindo and others who supported the Kit Gwang Declaration and as such they have lost their membership per the SPLM (IO) Constitution article 10.5 “engages in activities that undermines the objectives and policies of the Movement, …”;
3. Encouraged the continuation of peaceful contacts with the Kit Gwang group;
4. Accepted the resignation of Cde Mabior Garang De Mabior as Chairperson of National Committee for Information and Public Relations;
5. Called for the fast-tracking of the formation of Unified Command, graduation and deployment of the Unified Forces;
6. Condemned in the strongest terms possible the unilateral formation of government of Ruweng and Abyei Administrative Areas and calls upon the Chief Administrators to revoke these decisions and to adhere to the power sharing agreement on the Administrative Areas; and
7. Called upon the peace partners to adhere to the implementation of the Revitalized Peace Agreement in letter and spirit.
Riek Machar Teny-Dhurgon, PhD
SPLM/A (IO) Chairman and Commander-In-Chief and The First Vice President of the Republic of South Sudan.