Rebels to boycott Rome talks after killing of senior opposition commander in Uganda – official
Speaking to Sudans Post on Monday morning, SSOMA's Secretary-General Emmanuel Ajawin said the holdout opposition alliance have informed the Rome mediation that it won't take part in the scheduled round of talks following the killing of General Wani.
JUBA – South Sudan holdout opposition groups making up the South Sudan Opposition Movements Alliance (SSOMA) led by General Thomas Cirilo will not participate in the next round of talks scheduled for Saturday following the killing of a senior opposition commander in Uganda last month, according to an opposition official.
General Abraham Wani is a former deputy governor of the defunct Yei River state and a current member of the holdout opposition South Sudan National Movement for Change faction.
He defected to join the main armed opposition group, SPLM-IO, led by current South Sudan First Vice President Dr. Riek Machar Teny, before joining the South Sudan National Movement for Change led by Joseph Bokosoro at the time.
He however remained with the other SSNMC faction when the opposition group split during the negotiation of the revitalized peace agreement in the Sudanese capital Khartoum.
He succumbed to wounds in Kampala on April 22 following an attack on April 20 by unidentified men
Speaking to Sudans Post on Monday morning, SSOMA’s Secretary-General Emmanuel Ajawin said the holdout opposition alliance have informed the Rome mediation that it won’t take part in the scheduled round of talks following the killing of General Wani.
“Yes SSOMA-LC has written officially to SANT’EGIDIO expressing our disquiet regarding the politically motivated assassination of Gen. Abraham Wana,” Ajawin told Sudans Post in when contacted over the resumption of talks.
“As a result SSOMA will not engage with the government’s delegation in the coming peace talks that was scheduled for the 8th April,” he added.
According to preliminary investigation by Ugandan police, the murderers of General Wani spoke Arabic and some local languages commonly used in South Sudan.
Uganda police spokesperson, Fred Enangaalso, said the late opposition commander had complained that he started receiving threats from South Sudan government in 2018 after a group of unidentified South Sudanese visited his residence in Nansana in Wakiso district looking for him in vain.
“In 2018, he claimed that assassins had been sent to kill him at Kiryandongo Refugee Settlement Camp and this was the matter that was taken over by the Office of the Prime Minister in Uganda and United Nations agencies,” Enanga said.
Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.