JUBA — South Sudan announced a three-week partial lockdown on Tuesday banning social gatherings, classes, religious services, and political rallies following a sharp rise in coronavirus cases.
Speaking to reports in Juba this afternoon, Hussein Abdelbagi Akol, South Sudan Vice President for Service Cluster who doubled as Chairperson of the National Taskforce on COVID-19 said the measures will help contain the spread of covid-19 across the country.
“The National Taskforces on Coronavirus pandemic is hereby issuing public order on 21/12/2021 to effect the partial lockdown measures which will remain in force until 10 January 2022,” Abdelbagi told reporters in Juba on Tuesday.
Abdelbagi advised the public to stop receiving dead bodies in big numbers at the airport and in burial.
“We are warning the public to stop receiving dead bodies in numbers at the airport reception and burial, this shall only be attended by not more than 20 immediate relatives, authorized health facilities and travel terminals, domestic are allowed to use the approved antigen-based rapid diagnostic test for the purpose of screening,” he said.
He warned all public and private health facilities against admitting any COVID-19 patient.
He said any suspected case should be reported to the public health emergency operation center in Juba.
“I am hereby directing Juba city council and other town municipal councils to ensure that traders, hotels, customers, and general public comply with environmental cleaning, hygiene and sanitation, COVID-19 guidelines, and lockdown measures,” he said.
The government in May last year lifted a partial lockdown, prompting medical experts to warn of an upsurge in infections that would put pressure on a weak health care system already burdened by underfunding from the government.