Jok Madut Jok appointed JCE envoy to EU countries

Jok Madut Jok, co-founder of Sudd Institute and professor of anthropology at Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, Syracuse University [Photo credit is unknown]

Jok Madut Jok, co-founder of Sudd Institute and professor of anthropology at Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, Syracuse University [Photo credit is unknown]

JUBA – The co-founder of South Sudan’s Sudd Institute, Jok Madut Jok, has been appointed as the Jieng Council of Elders (JCE)’s envoy to the European countries and Russia, according to a senior JCE official.

The appointment, the official who spoke from Nairobi on condition of anonymity said, was made last week after Jok was convinced on a family and tribal basis after four months of pursuance.

“Professor Jok Madut Jok who is a co-founder of the Sudd Institute has been appointed by the [Jieng Council of Elders] as its special envoy to European Union, the UK, and the Russian Federation,” the official said.

“The deliberation was reached last week. Our leaders in the Jieng Council have been trying to convince Jok because he has been refusing to take that assignment for the sack of our people,” the official added.

Jok Madut is currently living in exile. He fled South Sudan following a brief detention in 2018 by the National Security Service.

He is currently working as a professor of anthropology at Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs at Syracuse University in New York.

President Salva Kiir urges unity

South Sudan President Salva Kiir Mayardit attends the 33rd Ordinary Session of the African Union Summit, at the AU headquarters in Addis Ababa, on February 10, 2020. [Photo via Getty Images]

South Sudan President Salva Kiir Mayardit attends the 33rd Ordinary Session of the African Union Summit, at the AU headquarters in Addis Ababa, on February 10, 2020. [Photo via Getty Images]

JUBA – South Sudan’s president, Salva Kiir Mayardit, has called on the people of South Sudan to come together and unite in order to end the current problems facing the country.

In his address marking the Martyrs Day, President Salva Kiir calls on South Sudanese to embrace each other and support efforts to consolidate peace and reconciliation in South Sudan.

Kiir urges the people of South Sudan to use the Martyrs Day holiday to reflect on the future of their country.

President Kiir also calls on the public to stop spreading lies and negative propaganda in South Sudan.

He says lies cause more harm than good in the country.

President Kiir says peace and lasting stability in the country will be the ultimate tribute to the millions of martyrs who sacrificed their lives for the freedom of South Sudan.

Dr. Riek Machar admits delay in peace implementation

First Vice President and SPLM-IO leader Dr. Riek Machar addresses a press conference jointly with President Salva Kiir (not seen) at the State House in Juba, on February 20, 2020 (Photo: via Getty Images)

First Vice President and SPLM-IO leader Dr. Riek Machar addresses a press conference jointly with President Salva Kiir (not seen) at the State House in Juba, on February 20, 2020 (Photo: via Getty Images)

JUBA – South Sudan‘s First Vice President Dr. Riek Machar Teny has – through his spokesman – admitted the delay in the implementation of the revitalized peace agreement, but said leaders were working to resolve contentious issues facing the 2018 peace deal.

James Gatdet Dak, the spokesman for Dr. Riek Machar acknowledged the delays in the structuring of the state governments and the reconstitution of the national parliament.

President Salva Kiir and the SPLM-IO leader Dr. Riek Machar are yet to agree on a governor for Upper Nile state.

The parties have not established the full government of the states, except for the appointment of 9 governors and 3 Chief Administrators.

They are also yet to submit names of nominees to the National Constitutional Amendment Committee for verification and appointment by the President.

This week, the Embassy of the United States in South Sudan raised concerns over delays of such crucial agreement tasks that were supposed to be completed 5 months ago.

It notes that the continued absence of empowered state and county administrations is affecting the execution of the ambitious reform agenda envisioned in the peace deal.

The US stressed that the permanent constitutional process, economic governance reforms, and transitional justice institutions are priorities that cannot wait.

“We note that time is passing quickly with no movement on a complex array of priorities…The business of accountable governance must and should proceed even in these trying times,” the statement partially read.

In response, the spokesperson in the Office of the First Vice President, James Gatdet says consultations are ongoing over the pending matters.

“I believe it goes back to the technicality of this work as committees are still working on it,” said Gatdet.

Last week, President Salva Kiir and Dr. Riek Machar established a committee to formulate the structures of the new state governments.

The new committee was given 48 hours to summarize the views of various stakeholders on the nature of local government levels. The outcome of their consultation is not yet known.

“Once the work is done then the formation will take place. I think the dateline will pass but it is not an intentional thing, it is a matter of technicality,” Mr. Gatdet added.

Yesterday, President Salva Kiir called on South Sudanese to support their leaders in their efforts to consolidate peace and reconciliation.

Kiir urged the public to also embrace peaceful coexistence as a way of supporting the implementation of the revitalized peace agreement.

SPLA-IO commander detained in Tonj – spokesman

South Sudan First Vice President, Chairman and Commander in Chief of SPLM, SPLA-IO, Dr. Riek Machar Teny greeting his generals in Pagak in 2015 [Photo via Facebook]

South Sudan First Vice President, Chairman and Commander in Chief of SPLM, SPLA-IO, Dr. Riek Machar Teny greeting his generals in Pagak in 2015 [Photo via Facebook]

JUBA – A senior SPLA-IO commander has been arrested by South Sudan People’s Defense Force (SSPDF) in the country’s Tonj County, an opposition spokesman close to First Vice President Dr. Riek Machar said this evening.

Colonel Lam Paul Gabriel, the deputy spokesman of the main armed opposition group, said in a statement extended to Sudans Post this evening that their commander Brigadier General Gabriel Bol Wek was arrested while on the way to Wau ahead of the arrival of the newly appointed governor of Western Bahr el Ghazal there.

“On Saturday 18/07/2020, at about 11:30 AM, a convoy of SSPDF disarmament force under the command of Lt. Gen. Ring Tueny met with Brig. Gabriel Bol Wek and some few soldiers of the SPLA-IO in Nyabor as they were going to Wadho Alel to prepare to receive the Governor of Western Bar El Gazal State,” Lam said in the statement.

“Noticing that the SPLA-IO soldiers were armed, the SSPDF decided to disarm and arrest them including Brig. Bol Wek; even after they introduced themselves as SPLA-IO soldiers,”

Lam said the arrest led to anger among IO soldiers in the area who “blocked the road between Wau and Tonj and arrested some IG soldiers and civilians who were together with the soldiers at that time.”

“This brought in tension that led to exchange of fire between the SSPDF and the IO on the ground, in complete violation of the permanent ceasefire in particular and the R-ARCSS in general.

“The SPLA-IO respects the decision of the SSPDF to disarm civilians in their areas of control but not the SPLA-IO forces or civilians in areas controlled by the SPLA-IO.

“The SPLA-IO leadership asks the civilians to remain calm as this incident is a result of misunderstanding by soldiers on the ground and is being handled by the leadership of both sides in Juba.

Lam said his group has directed its forces to “release those SSPDF soldiers and civilians arrested including their belongings. At the same time, the SPLA-IO calls upon the SSPDF command to release Brig. Bol Wek with all his soldiers and all their guns so that they go back to their base.”

He further urged the “RJMEC, JDB, and CTSAMVM to investigate this violation and bring those responsible to book.”

Kiir arrives in Luri for high-level meeting of Jieng Council of Elders

South Sudan President Salva Kiir Mayardit arrives at Luri on July 20, 2020 ahead of a high-level meeting with Jieng Council of Elders (JCE) [Photo by Sudans Post]

South Sudan President Salva Kiir Mayardit arrives at Luri on July 20, 2020, ahead of a high-level meeting with Jieng Council of Elders (JCE) [Photo by Sudans Post]

JUBA – South Sudan‘s president, Salva Kiir Mayardit, has arrived at his Luri farm outside Juba, ahead of a high-level meeting between him and the Jieng Council of Elders (JCE), several officials of Kiir’s office said.

“The president has just arrived in Luri. There is a meeting between the president and the Jieng Council of Elders. That meeting will take place tomorrow and it will discuss the implementation of the revitalized peace agreement,” one member of Kiir’s office told Sudans Post from Juba.

Another official confirmed the news and said Kiir traveled this evening after the swearing-in ceremony of newly appointed ministers of higher education, and east African Affairs as well as governors of Western Bahr el Ghazal and Jonglei state.

“Yes the president is in Luri, he went there after the swearing-in of the officials in J1,” the official said.

SSPDF badly humiliates NAS in Central Equatoria fighting – spokesman  

Members of South Sudan’s army who fought the Gelweng militia group today in Lakes (Photo via Getty images)

Members of South Sudan’s army who fought the Gelweng militia group today in Lakes (Photo via Getty images)Members of South Sudan’s army who fought the Gelweng militia group today in Lakes (Photo via Getty images)

YEI – The South Sudan People’s Defense Force (SSPDF) has badly defeated and humiliated the holdout opposition forces of National Salvation Front (NAS) under the leadership of General Thomas Cirilo Swaka during fighting last week in Central Equatoria, according to a media official in Bilpam.

However, in a statement on Sunday, the NAS spokesman Suba Samuel Manase claimed that the South Sudan People’s Defense Forces (SSPDF) attacked their position at Lowe in Liria area on the Juba-Torit road on Thursday 16 July.

“NAS forces fought back in self-defense countering the enemy in two successful ambushes. In these ambushes five (5) SSPDF soldiers were killed in action and many sustained injuries,” he added.

The SSPDF launched a second attack on NAS in Lobonok from two different axes on 18 July but their forces fought back and forced the attackers to retreat.

“The aggression by the SSPDF is still continuing and is already causing civilian displacement and humanitarian disaster,” he stressed.

The holdout rebel group reiterated its commitment to the Cessions of Hostilities Agreement signed on 21 December 2017, and to the Rome Declaration signed on 20th January 2020.

December 2017 in Addis Ababa Ethiopia, and to the Rome Declaration signed on 20 January 2020 in Rome Italy. NAS however, reserves the right to self-defence.
NAS reiterates

 

Olony must first return to Juba ‘whether he likes it or not’ – Makuei

South Sudan Information Minister Michael Makuei gives a press conference on January 5, 2014 in the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa after arriving from Juba [Photo via Getty Images]

South Sudan Information Minister Michael Makuei gives a press conference on January 5, 2014 in the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa after arriving from Juba [Photo via Getty Images]

JUBA – South Sudan’s information minister Michael Makuei Lueth has said President Salva Kiir Mayardit will not appoint SPLM-IO nominee for Upper Nile state governor, General Johnson Olony, unless he has come to Juba.

This comes after consecutive demands by the SPLM-IO to have Olony appointed before he returns to the capital which Makuei said is ridiculous and does not make sense because all the governors who were appointed have come to Juba.

“President Salva Kiir has not yet changed his mind on Johnson Olony. Yes we don’t want him to serve as the governor of Upper Nile state, but before the president could reconsider his decision on Olony, he must be first in Juba whether he like it or not,” Makuei said.

In a statement quoted by Nyamilepedia on Friday, a senior SPLM-IO official said the Kiir’s demand to have Olony first return to the capital was not relevant and said there was even no intention by the SPLM-IO to replace Olony.

“There is nothing to be negotiated about our nomination of General Johnson Olony Thambo. The claim by the government that Olony was does not fit is mischief. I repeat Olony’s nomination is not negotiable,” Dut Majokdit, the senior SPLM-IO official told Nyamilepedia.

He was further quoted as saying that the government was “tactically trying to delay and impede the implementation of the revitalized peace agreement.”

Adut Akech threatens to sue

South Sudanese-Australian model, Adut Akech, speaking in an interview [Photo via Facebook]

South Sudanese-Australian model, Adut Akech, speaking in an interview [Photo via Facebook]

ABUJA, NIGERIA – South Sudan model, Adut Akech, has threatened to sue South Sudanese social media users for tarnishing his image over her decision to date Nigerian singer, Runtown which has sparked anger back home.

For the last week, social media users from South Sudan have been expressing anger and frustrations on Adut for leaving the thousands of men in the country only to look for a foreigner.

Speaking to Sudans Post from Abuja on Saturday afternoon, Adut Akech said she felt sorry for what she has witnessed on social media and said she will sue those behind the damage to his image.

“I am really sorry. South Sudanese men are always like that. They did it to many of my friends who got married to white men in Australia but they were not told anything,” the visibly Adut Akech said.

“I am going to sue some of them when I return to Australia. Most of the commentators on my private life are in Australia and when I return, they will see its redness,” she promised.

Trump sets 1 condition for lifting South Sudan sanctions

US president Donald J. Trump has set conditions for lifting South Sudan sanctions [Photo via Getty Images]

US president Donald J. Trump has set conditions for lifting South Sudan sanctions [Photo via Getty Images]

WASHINGTON – The United States is willing to lift an arms embargo and targeted South Sudan sanctions, but the country has to make progress in the quest for lasting peace and the fight against corruption, outgoing ambassador Thomas Hushek said.

BBC quotes Hushek to say South Sudan has to work on a ‘reduction in level of violence and corruption” in the system for the sanctions to be lifted.

The United Nations Security Council renewed the arms embargo in May for a period of one year to stop the flow of weapons to armed groups.

South Sudan has been dogged by violence for more than six years, killing tens of thousands and displacing millions others.

The U.S. has been part of an international community piling pressure on the country to instill lasting peace, having only gained its independence in 2011.

Besides the U.S. sanctions, the U.S. government also imposed its own sanctions against some South Sudanese senior government officials, including former first Vice-President Taban Deng Gai.

“This year when we adopted a resolution at the UN Security Council, we put new language in the resolution that talks about establishing benchmarks, establishing peace-building that will eventually lead to the lifting of arms embargo,” BBC quotes Ambassador Hushek.

“So there is a plan that will be developed about how to remove that particular state of sanctions.

“We offered a plan to remove those sanctions, this involved [the government] taking steps on financial transparency reforms and we will discuss that plan with government officials here.”

Machar cannot go to church, tour Juba – official

South Sudan First Vice President and SPLM-IO Chairman Dr. Riek Machar Teny [Photo via Getty Images]

South Sudan First Vice President and SPLM-IO Chairman Dr. Riek Machar Teny [Photo via Getty Images]

JUBA – South Sudan First Vice President Dr. Riek Machar Teny is still restricted to his residence and is not allowed to travel or pay a visit to any part of Juba, a senior member of the main armed opposition group said this afternoon.

The official who spoke on the condition of anonymity said Machar has not been allowed to move around Juba or go to the church on Sunday. He said he do not have the permission except for going into his office and returning home.

“The Chairman and Commander in Chief Dr. Riek Machar Teny is still under arrest. He is still not allowed to move freely,” the official said from Juba.

“He has been told to stay at home and not visit any area in Juba even going to the church on Sunday he cannot go,” the official added.

He said the practice by the IGAD and the government of President Salva Kiir Mayardit is a violation to the revitalized peace agreement and urged the regional body to release Machar as he is a signatory to the revitalized peace agreement.

1 2 3 4 5 16