JUBA – The SPLA-IO acting Chief of General Staff General Gabriel Duop Lam has issued a strong-worded statement condemning the declaration of Kitgwang in which General Simon Gatwech Dual announced the removal of Dr. Riek Machar Teny.
Below is the full text statement by General Duop Lam.
AUGUST 6, 2021
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
The SPLA-IO component of the Security Mechanisms under the leadership of Lt. Gen. Gabriel Duop Lam, the Acting Chief of General Staffs and the Co-Chair of JDB sighted with concern the attempted coup document (the Kitgwang Declaration) on 3rd August, 2021 by the Former Chief of General Staff, Gen. Gatwech Dual, who was already relieved of the command of the SLA-IO forces and appointed as Peace Advisor to the President.
The SPLA-IO leadership in the Security Mechanisms met on 6th August, 2021 in Juba and came up with the followings resolutions;
- The SPLA-IO Command reaffirms the decision of the SPLM/A-IO Political Bureau in a meeting held on 4th August, 2021; as it is subordinate to the civilian rule of the movement under the leadership of H.E. Riek Machar Teny (PhD), Chairman and Commander in – Chief of the SPLM/A-IO.
- The SPLA-IO denounce and condemn the Kitgwang Declaration in the strongest term possible and stand behind under the able leadership of the SPLM/A-IO, Chairman and Commander in Chief Dr. Riek Machar Teny Dhurgon.
- The SPLA-IO applauds the patriotic move of the Sectors and Division Commanders for openly denouncing the Kitgwang Declaration, and pledging their unwavering support to H.E. Riek Machar Teny (PhD). This proves that the failed coup attempt is zeroed to only few elements in Magenis, who succumb to pressure from the enemies of peace.
- The SPLA-IO would like to point it out that the incident that is happening in Magenis is related to the incidences that happened in Maiwut, Kajo Keji, Maban, and Lieng due to encouraged and sponsored defections from the peace partner. This was evident in the recorded conversation of the former SPLA-IO Spokesperson, Brig. Gen. William Gatjiath Deng.
- The SPLA-IO would like to inform the people of South Sudan, the Region and the International Community that the delay in the unification of Command and the graduation of the forces are not failures of the SPLA-IO but the peace partners
- In conclusion, the SPLA-IO under the leadership of H.E Dr. Riek Machar Teny Dhurgon, would like assure its supporters and the South Sudanese general public that it is in full command and control of all the forces in its 8 Sectors and the Divisions therein.
The SPLA-IO remains committed to the implementation of the Transitional Security Arrangement and reserves the right to self- defense when aggressed.
Lt. Gen. Gabriel Duop Lam
Acting Chief of General Staffs and
Co-Chair of JDB.