By Hon. Gen. Salva Mathok Gengdit
OPINION — The ongoing security situation in Greater Jonglei is deteriorating in recent days and it is alarming with killing, abduction, and raping, looting properties with displacement adding to disaster already caused by floods this year. This security situation is now happening at the period of floods where water can scale or restrict further activities of armed gangs.
According to my own analysis, it may be worst in the coming dry season. The accusations according to the information I gathered, it is labelled against Murle Youth who are at offensive today.
Researchers did made their reach on how to bring a lasting peace in Greater Jonglei crisis referring to previous peace conference had been held and none succeeded. Others concluded that there is no solution for Greater Jonglei Crisis.
Indeed, H.E President Salva Kiir Mayardit made a serious attempt ordering major operations for disarmament in Greater Jonglei in 2012, which became a success but we did not consolidated that success to exploit it to final.
I do disagree with those who concluded that there is no solution. To inform the people, areas of those communities have huge resources like livestock, gold, wild animals, vast land for agriculture (fertile land), and enough water among others. It is an important area that the central government must pay attention to give priority in bringing peace in greater Jonglei.
The reason that I disagree with the people who believed that there is no solution is; I have simple native strategy to solve Greater Jonglei Crisis. I categorized to have short and long-term strategies.
The composition of tribes living in Greater Jonglei are Nuer, Murle, Anyuak, Dinka Bor, Kacipo and Jie. These elements attacks themselves except Anyuak and Kacipo.
Phase 1: Short Term Strategy
1. Take a map of Greater Jonglei and demarcate to create a buffer zone between Nuer – Dinka Bor with Murle by using or selecting code nets within buffer zone with define distance of width of the area of at least 40 KM.
2. Selection of corridors for movement of people and goods. These are official corridors for these communities.
3. This buffer-zone is to be assigned to SSPDF by providing them with helicopters gunships and drones to monitor with orders to kill anybody who will appear in that buffer-zone as a red line. These forces with gunships can be stationed in Bor Airstrip.
4. Constant use of media to educate those communities about new order of movement of people and goods using selected corridors.
5. This can be temporary measures to stop any further attacks among these communities.
This phase one will not be possible to achieve it because of the current arms embargo on the nation. That will not allow us to acquire armament for protecting our people and resources, which are now being looted by foreign elements in the bushes across South Sudan.
After we stopped attacks among those tribes, Murle Vs Lou Nuer and Dinka Bor, let us go to phase II.
Phase II: Long Term Strategy
1. Lay down strategic plan for total disarmament in Greater Jonglei as it was done before in 2012.
2. Plans for peace conferences
3. Initiate developmental projects by forming a High Level Committee at the level of Presidency such like providing those communities with roads, schools, health centers etc.
4. Establish a strong and well-equipped wildlife force in Greater Jonglei to protect wild animals, which these communities are using for food during their campaigns of tribal war, totally to deny them.
5. To review the status of DIV-8s and Cobra brigade that are deployed in those areas of Greater Jonglei.
In my conclusion, Greater Jonglei have manpower, and huge resources I mentioned above that we need in this country if there is peace. I appeal to those who gave up and concluded that Greater Jonglei conflict has no solution, that is a sign of failure and that failure should not exist. I am confident that we will achieve a lasting peace if we all commit ourselves for the betterment of our beloved country. There are well-educated people in Greater Jonglei where each of them will contribute ideas for the final peace in the region.
The writer is a member of parliament of the R-TNLA, Former Caretaker Governor of Warrap State, Former SPLA Deputy Chief of General Staffs for administration, Former Presidential advisor on SPLA affairs currently SSPDF and a former deputy National Minister of Interior. He is reachable via +211925571888.
The views expressed in the ‘OPINIONS & ANALYSIS’ section of Sudans Post are solely the opinions of the writers. The veracity of any claims made are the responsibility of the author not this website. If you want to submit an opinion piece or an analysis please email us here.