BENTIU – Two unidentified gunmen have on Sunday morning shot dead an unarmed displaced person at the United Nations Protection of Civilians Site(POC) in Bentiu, according to several IDPs.
The innocent IDP identified as Mareang Puok was shot dead with in the vicinity of the UN camp in Rubkona, just at 6:00 AM and the killers were seen, but were not apprehended, according to a camp member.
“Today, two men in South Sudan army uniform shot dead a man around the Bentiu POC here in Rubkona. The two men were seen but they fled and none of them have been apprehended,” one displaced person told Sudans Post on condition of anonymity.
“So, there is fear as we speak because the soldiers are still killing us,” he added.
Another displaced person also said the killers came from teh direction of Rubkona town and all of them were wearing army uniform. She said the victim has been buried this afternoon but said the decision by UN mission to pull out troops from POC will jeopardize the security of those it currently protects.
“This is a very unfortunate incident. The two killers came from the direction of Rubkona town and all of them were wearing army closes,” she said. “This decision by the United Nations to withdraw troops will jeopardize our security and this killing is a warning.”
The United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) announced in September that it will withdraw troops currently offering protection to thousands of civilians in Juba, Bentiu, Malakal, Bor and Wau.
The UN mission has already handed over the Bor camp security to authorities in Jonglei and last week, UN peacekeepers were seen leaving the Juba POC site.
IDPs have objected to the withdrawal, but the UNMISS has insisted that there was no any security threats.