JUBA, JANUARY 20TH 2023 (SUDANS POST) – The Embassy of the United States in Juba has called on the parties to end communal conflicts in the country.
In a statement issued on Friday, the US called on the government to hold accountable those responsible for abductions in Greater Pibor Administrative Area.
“We renew our call for South Sudan’s leaders to act with urgency to end subnational violence and to hold accountable those responsible for abductions and for all other forms of human rights violations, including child soldier recruitment,” Embassy said in a statement extended to Sudans Post on Friday.
The Embassy expressed deep concerns with continued reports of the recruitment and use of child soldiers in the country.
“In South Sudan, we are gravely concerned about reports of women and children being abducted, including within the context of subnational violence,” it said.
The violence that erupted last year till January left more than 60 people killed and more than 1,400 children and women abducted from the Lanam, Gumuruk, and Lekuangole areas of GPAA.
On 19th January, Authorities in Jonglei State claimed that armed youth from Greater Pibor Administrative Area (GPAA) are mobilizing to attack Jonglei in what could appear to be retribution for the last year’s clashes when armed youth from Jonglei invaded Pibor.
Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.