KHARTOUM, MAY 20, 2023 (SUDANS POST) – The Sudanese government has protested the welcoming of Youssef Ezzat, the political advisor to commander of the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) Mohamed Hamdan Daglo, to Juba to meet President Salva Kiir.
Ezzat this week visited Juba and held meeting with President Kiir and senior members of his government over the ongoing fighting in Sudan which broke out following disagreements on how and when the RSF should be integrated into the Sudanese army.
In the statement seen by Sudans Post, the Sudanese ministry of foreign affairs said it has lodged an official complaint to the government of South Sudan to protest the welcome accorded to the representative of the RSF, a military group considered a rebel there.
“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has lodged, on Wednesday 17th May 2023, an official protest memorandum to the Government of the Republic of South Sudan,” the strong-worded statement published on social media reads in part.
“This action was taken in response to the permission granted to the adviser of the leader of the rebel Rapid Support militias to visit Juba and to hold a press conference in the presence of senior officials from the Government of the Republic of South Sudan,” it added.
It further said that “the memorandum serves as an expression of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ strong denunciation of this action by the Government of the Republic of South Sudan.”
A source in Khartoum told Sudans Post on condition of anonymity that the permission granted to the RSF adviser to visit Juba and to hold a press conference is seen by Sudan as a sign of support for the RSF and its leader, which are “are a threat to peace and stability in the region.”
The RSF are a paramilitary force that was formed in 2013 to fight rebels in western and southern parts of Sudan and is led by General Mohamed Hamdan Daglo who is better known as Hemedti in the country.
Last month, forces belonging to the paramilitary group attack the residence of the president of the transitional sovereign council and head of the Sudanese army General Abdelfattah al Burhan in an attempt to arrest him, plunging the country to a deadly conflict.
South Sudan has not yet responded to the Sudan foreign ministry statement.